This vegan salad is full of flavour, and you can add different ingredients every time you make it. Use what you have in the fridge, and be creative. The base of the salad is the same, just change up what you add to it. I often take this to work and always enjoy it.
Its a nice messy kind of salad, easy to make and delicious to eat. Its also really healthy which is a nice bonus!
The ingredients are for one person, so increase by that amount for each person if making for others.
- Cos lettuce – have enough lettuce to fill up to about a third of the bowl
- Beetroot – (I cook my own beetroot by boiling in water. Cut off the ends of the beetroot. Place in a pot of hot water so the water is just covering the beetroots – bring to the boil then simmer until they are soft. Peel skins off while still warm as it is easier to remove the skin)
- 1 -2 spring onions
- 3-4 Green olives
- 1 stick of celery
- A medium size tomato
- 1 Tablespoon of mixed seeds
- Vegan feta cheese – about 100gms – I use the Bio Cheese brand
- 1 medium size potato
- Vegan mayo – 1-2 tablespoons- depending on how creamy you want it to be.
- Wash lettuce, celery, potato and tomato and dry
- Pierce potato a few times with a fork. Bake potato in the microwave. Cook on high for 2 minutes, turn and cook for a further 2 mins. If not soft, cook another 1-2 mins. (I like to add the potato to the salad while it is still hot as it causes the lettuce to slightly wilt and also works with the texture of the cheese)
- Roughly the chop lettuce and place in a large bowl. I usually have a third of the bowl as lettuce. The amount of each ingredient is up to you and how many people will be eating the salad.
- Chop up celery, tomato, olives and spring onions and mix through the lettuce
- Add 1 -2 teaspoons of mayo and mix through evenly.
- Chop up the beetroot – I usually use ½ – 1 medium sized beetroot for each person.
- Chop the cheese into small cubes.
- Lay the chopped potato on top of the salad along with the beetroot and cheese.
- Sprinkle seeds over the top and add another dollop of mayo.
Variations to the Big Vegan Salad
The base consists of the lettuce, onion, potato, tomato, celery and beetroot. You can change it up by swapping the seeds out for nuts such as walnuts or just one type of seed. A sprinkle of hemp seeds or sprouted seeds perhaps.
Swap the cheese to avocado, falafel, vegan sausage or beans.
You could swap the mayo for vegan sweet chilli sauce, or just a vinaigrette.
The options are many, so it is really up to what you have on hand and what you feel like eating. Vary the amount of ingredients to how big you want the salad to be.
Have fun and enjoy!